Editorial

Today was like one of the best of those Aberdeen days. There was a drizzle in West Seattle, before noon as it was all day, and people walked their dogs – big men with big dogs and little old ladies with small dogs. On my way back from the Admiral District branch of the Seattle Public Library I stopped and bought a fish meal at MacDonald’s. Back in the Aberdeen days, I would have been driving and that, my friend, was fifty years ago. But as I was crossing California Avenue Southwest from one side of the street to the other side to MacDonald’s, a woman driver was negotiating a turn northbound onto California Avenue, totally unapologetically trying to swipe me in my path. I had to stop and stare into her windshield. The windshield was clear, she had seen me. I mouthed the words, “WTF.” She opened her palms, suggesting she made a mistake. I was not angry really, because she must have had reasons to hurry, for it is the tenor of our times. And this was like one of the best of those Aberdeen days from fifty years ago. Goddamn it, I am Chinese, and people still haven’t gotten used to the fact that we are here permanently.



Comments

Popular Posts